Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stalkers Paradise Beware

So this new phone is kind of creeping me out. I don't understand why you would want an application on your phone that basically stalks where your friends are. If you really want to hang out with someone you will call and make plans. Not look up their location on your phone, and just show up, that's creepy in my opinion.

I get the whole GPS angle and finding restaurants that are close by that is pretty cool, especially if you travel a lot and find yourself in unfamiliar places. But the GPS that is used to basically stalk your friends, family and potentially anyone is just strange. We are getting to the point where people really will have no privacy. Last week we were freaking out because of what people can see of us online because of facebook. Are we really willing to accept a technology that completely exposes you. I am all for developing new technologies, but I think this one is unnecessary and potentially a violation of people's privacy, even if you are allowed to disconnect from it. What if you forget?

For more information on the phone and technology I am talking about visit these links!

Students' new best friend: 'MoSoSo'


A Wireless Street Fight (TIME Magazine)

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the invasion of privacy aspect. But, I do see one obvious use for this type of technology - Parents and their kids. Maybe with technology we'll no longer have to hear those PA announcements at the mall re: missing kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even from a parent's perspective; I got along just fine without a cell phone until I was in high school. Now, my 8 year old cousin has one. Are we really this dependent on technology?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to have technology with us. When I was younger, payphones were easily accessible. Now, they are becoming harder to find because more people have cell phones. From a parent's perspective today, they want to be able to know where their child is at all times and know exactly how to contact them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a good point that parents could use it instead of implanting micro-chips in their children which has its own ethical issues. The problem with all these internet based technology is that the internet was not designed with security in mind. I don't no how i can feel comfort with knowing i can track my child...when joe shmo who is not legally allowed to live near schools, can hack in and find out when my child is walking back from school or wherever.

    ReplyDelete